Dear future me,
Unhappy? I’ve figured it out for you. The key to happiness.
1. God. You need Him. When doubts creep in and you question everything, like you do from time to time, you still need Him. This is part of who you are. If this part of you is a mess or if you are ignoring it, you will not be happy. Make time. Sort it out with God.
2. Family. Leave your work, irritations and moods in the office. Family is what it’s about here on earth. It’s the earthly reward for all your toil. And for crying out loud, kids wanting to talk to you is more important than following the TV program which will air every night this week. Don’t shush them.
3. Passion. You have to be passionate about what you are doing with your life. If you are not passionate anymore it’s time for a change. Don’t be a sissy. Change.
4. Exercise. It’s tough and it gets tougher as you get older, but just sitting there watching your belly grow bigger each year is not you. Besides, exercise is a great cure for sleeplessness.
5. Sleep. It’s not only for sissies. When you are tired bad things seem bigger and good things seem smaller.
That’s the lot, in order of importance. Money, you may have noticed, is not on the list. It’s not unimportant, but making it is relatively easy and it contributes relatively little to your happiness. It may even be detrimental to your happiness.